Tuesday, January 13, 2009

$3000 challenge

Here's my great idea! I've been mulling this for quite some time. I heard someone on a morning show say that the average family has at least $3000 in stuff lying around their house that could be sold without them even missing it. Me being the frugal person I am, and us trying to work the Dave Ramsey plan, I thought it would be great to turn that into a challenge for my family. We've agreed to try it out. I'm going to chronicle our journey with this challenge here. Basically, we're going to simplify our lives, our home, our belongings and sell stuff off or give it away. The goal is to raise at least $3000 by the end of the summer. We will be utilizing Craig's List, having yard sales, and trying every other avenue we can think of. Some things will be given away, via freecycle or the Salvation Army. We've already agreed that we will give away more than just the normal tithe on this money though. We're giving away quite a bit to local charities. The rest will go to our goal of being debt free in three years - mortgage and all. I'd love to hear from anyone else wanting to try this out. I'm thinking how I could do the same thing with my business, but I don't know.

Well, I'm off to bed for tonight. I've posted several posts from my old blog here, with a few updates. Hopefully I can post tomorrow. I think our schedule is pretty free. I'm half hoping they call school tomorrow because of the cold.

1 comment:

  1. I told my family about this $3000 challenge and they seem to be all for it! We are a family of pack rats so it's going to be a challenge for sure!

    ReplyDelete