Sunday, February 15, 2009

Eating frugally with allergies - a look at two meals

Well, I'm back to feeling normal, and getting back into my routine. What a rough two weeks it has been! Today is the start of a new week, and I'm raring to go. I've decided that instead of trying to do catch up posts, I'll just start this week like normal, and go from there.

Today, I'm going to show that you can eat frugally while eating healthy. Not only that, but I have to make two different versions of each meal, since my eating restrictions aren't shared by the family. We don't buy dairy that often, since there's two of us that can't have it. I use meat sparingly, normally as an addition to the meal, and not the meal itself.

First, we have nachos. There are two pictures of those. The first is what Katelyn, Michael (no cheese for him) and John ate. The cheese was leftover from the party. This is actually John's birthday dinner. We celebrated it a couple days late since he was sick on his birthday. The second is my nachos. You can't tell, but there's no meat, just beans.















And now mine, no meat, cheese, and lots of veggies.















The total meal cost lest than $10. Everything but the beans were on sale.

This meal - chicken, beans and rice wraps - are made from leftover beans from the nachos, some seasoned rice, chicken and veggies. My wrap had no chicken in it, but I forgot to take a picture. I stuck it all in a tortilla, and made some sauce that I wish I could remember how I made it. When will I learn that I should write this stuff down! The whole meal was right around $5. When I'm organized again from this round of illness in my home, I'll be back to doing the cost breakdowns. Plus, why does it seem that the family will eat anything if it's wrapped in a tortilla? I have to learn how to make my own, since they can be costly. That's for a dinner this week, probably tomorrow.


Well, that's an idea of what we eat to accomodate allergies and be frugal. I'll be more organized tomorrow, I promise. It's been two weeks straight of Plan B's. I'm praying for a week of calm so I can get us all back on as much of an even keel as possible. Of course, with us, that's relative. Not to mention, we're all crammed upstairs again, because of the flooding. Have a good Sunday all.

No comments:

Post a Comment